Sunday 28 October 2012

Shakira — No



In the final few seconds she stands above the water (like the archetypal Fool at the edge of the unknown) but unlike in "Whenever, Wherever" in which she jumps into the abyss, this time she smiles and turns away. The "No" extends to encompass even the "No" itself! Brilliant!

Shakira 
— No lyrics in collaboration with Gustavo Cerati)

No, no intentes disculparte 
(No, don't try to excuse yourself)
No juegues a insistir 
(Don't play at insisting) 
 
Las excusas ya existían antes de ti 

(The excuses were already there before you) 


 
 
No, no me mires como antes 
(No, don't look at me like before,) 
 
No hables en plural  
(Don't talk in the plural) 
La retórica es tu arma más letal 
 
(Rhetoric is your most lethal weapon)  

Voy a pedirte que no vuelvas más 
(
I am going to ask you never to return) 
Siento que me dueles todavía aquí  
(
I feel that that you still hurt me here)  
Adentro (Inside) 
 
Y que a tu edad sepas bien lo que es
(And that at your age you know well what it is
)
Romperle el corazón a alguien así 

(To break the heart of someone else like this) 
 

No se puede vivir con tanto veneno,  
(One cannot live with so much passion) 
 
La esperanza que me da tu amor  
(
The hope your love gives me)  
No me la dio más nadie 
 
(No one gave me more ever)  
Te juro, no miento 
(I swear, I do not lie) 
 

No se puede morir con tanto veneno 
(One cannot live with so much passion) 
 
No se puede dedicar el alma 
(
One cannot devote one's soul)
A acumular intentos 
(
Attempting again and again) 
Pesa más la rabia que el cemento  
(Anger weighs heavier than cement

)
 

 
Espero que no esperes que te espere 
(I hope you don't expect that I'll wait for you) 
 
Después de mis 26 

(After turning twenty-six)  
La paciencia se me ha ido hasta los pies  
(Patience has sunk down to my feet)
 
Y voy deshojando margaritas 
(And I go plucking daisy petals)  
Y mirando sin mirar
(And wondering without looking)  
Para ver si así, te irritas y te vas 
(
To see if you get irritated and leave)


Live Performance:


Ideas for an English version.
No, don't tell me reasons why
Don't try to insist
Your reasons, weren't they just another lie?

No, don't look at me that way
Don't say how I'm missed
Your words are just a lethal game you play.

I'm going to ask you never to return
I still feel how you hurt me here inside
In my heart
And at your age, you know well what it is
To break the heart of someone else like this.

No, no-one can live with so much passion
The hope that your love gave me
No-one else gave me before
I swear, I do not lie.

No, no-one can die with so much passion
No-one can devote their soul
Trying again and again
Anger weighs down like coal.

I hope you don't expect I'll wait for you.
Since turning twenty-six
Patience has sunk down to my toes
So here I am counting daisy petals
Wondering without looking
To see if you'll get fed up now and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment